nafex - [NAFEX] P americana

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] P americana
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:10:04 +0000

Frank Foltz of Northwind Nursery has been growing Euro plums on amercana for decades and could give you some info. His email address is:
frankfoltz@usfamily.net
I myself have been growing all my cultivated plums on americana for fifteen years and really like this rootstock, no problems, a few suckers but after five years of neglect only a few to worry about.
I have noticed on one varitey, South Dakota, that ther is extreme overgrowth at the union, high grafted. Not a problem with any low grafted plums I've got. (Alderman, Superior, Pipestone, Waneta, Monitor, and several others.)
The P domestica plums I've grafted to it do fine so far for me. Bob Purvis mentioned a possible incompatability but I haven't noticed it but I don't have any old trees on demestica. I would just bury the graft union.
Kevin B
Kevin Bradley

Get some great ideas here for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day - and beyond. http://special.msn.com/network/celebrateromance.armx