nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Corporate farms

  • From: "Bruce & Joyce Caldwell" <thecaldwells@Access4Less.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Corporate farms
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:39:30 -0600

> When you can you do not need new rings, you need new lids. These are sold

You are right, of course. And while my costs are a little higher than you
state, I do can some items. I also freeze, and hope to get back to my farm
soon so I can use the cellar. I have kept a goat to milk, and raise much of
our food, though we are far from self-sustaining.

But I wasn't talking about just feeding myself. The government effectivly
keeps the small guy out of business, or at least makes it illegal for him to
do business. In our area, the city-county is proud that it has the strictest
rules in trhe state. It is illegal to sell fruit/vegetables from the ground
of your truckbed. You must provide the veges with a concrete floor, a roof,
and bathrooms. So no, I can't sell my garden produce at the flea-market. You
have to have a farm number to sell to the produce market, and that takes not
much money, but regular filing of paperwork that isn't worthwhile for an
intermitant and minimal income. We can't sell our honey in the stores around
here, even if it is in the Ross Rounds, which are not extracted and are
completly processed in the field, unless we have a commercial kitchen.

Things are better outside Tulsa county, but even in Mayes county, my friend
with the canning licence (federal) spends over ten thousand dollars a year
to stay legal. He has a good business, but really just wanted to can a few
pints to sell in his retirement, not work full time in his retirement years
to pay for the right to sell his merchandise. I hear he is selling out, as
it is too much for what he wants to do.

Joyce