nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Corporate farms

  • From: "Naomi" <beefaloidaho@att.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Corporate farms
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:57:40 -0700

About the costs of canning:
When you can you do not need new rings, you need new lids. These are sold
in a box of 12 for a $1. So you put in your own produce. Sugar, Vinegar,
Spices, salt and Heat. I would not expect your yearly cost for canning to be
above $.25 a quart jar. The jars themselves go for about$.50 and get reused
for years.

My canning starts with the seeds I select in spring. I fertilize the plants
with the help of my donkeys, goats and chickens. I pick when the produce
seems ready and I process within hours. I like to make jams of wild
combinations of whatever is ripe at the moment and I use absolutely no
water. Jam is about how much fruit I can stick in there, no stretchers.

Pickles! I love pickles. I can buy a gallon of vinegar for $2 and a 25
pound sack of sugar for $8. With a couple of dollars worth of pickling lime
I can make $14 quarts of the sweet pickles my son likes and still have at
least 15 pounds of sugar left over. Can you buy $14 quarts of pickles for
$6 or $7?

I can make fermented pickles and sauerkraut with just produce and salt.

I know how to make my own corned beef. I got the recipe off the internet but
it came from the deli 6 blocks away from where I grew up in Louisville
Kentucky.

And yes, selling milk for human consumption is legally ridiculous. But
there are people who solemnly swear that they are going to feed their pets
goat milk and goat cheese.

You see, I am a city person. I grew up with cans from the store and a cat
was the biggest animal we ever had at our house. I learned how to do these
things because I chose to do them. It is lifestyle as I said before.

Quite some time ago I was reading an article in FORTUNE MAGAZINE. The
author was describing hanging off the side of a mountain, cold, wet,
tired...he said to himself, "Is this something I would do for ANY amount of
money? NO! There fore I must be on my vacation and I must be having a good
time." Well, I am not on a vacation but I am having a good time because I
sure would not do this for money.