nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hastening Figs redux

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hastening Figs redux
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:19:29 -0400

It's been in the ground for 3 seasons. It's my test plant to see just how
hardy it is. Every year it dies back and gets pruned to the ground. Then
in June or July it sprouts back larger than before. I'm curious to see how
large it will eventually become in this climate. I'll have to try the
petite negri figs while I'm waiting for the others. I tried to bring in
some smaller Chicago Hardy for the winter, but I think I got them inside too
late because they dropped their leaves a few days later. Now I'm not sure
what to do with them since they have no leaves. Do they need a cold
treatment outside or will they flush out now that they are warm?

Mike