nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hastening Figs redux

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hastening Figs redux
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:09:59 -0500

Petite Negri does very well for me in Wisconsin. I have it in a 20 gallon
pot. It has produced perhaps 50 figs this fall. There was a small breba
crop in July.

I grew a Celeste for many years in a large pot and would get a handful of
fruit, most dropping early. I let it freeze after I got the Negri. There
was just no comparison in fruitfulness

Evidently Petite Negri is either a sport of or the actual Negronne, also
known as Violette de Bordeaux. I highly recommend it for pot culture. I
winter it over in my semi-heated garage. It hovers in the freezing range
all winter. Once the garage door stuck a foot of the floor and the garage
dropped to 10F overnight. Petite Negri was not damaged. I did get
extensive damage one spring when the temp dropped into the low twenties when
the plant had started growth. I covered the plant, but didn't slide her
back into the garage since the forecast was for a mere 30F. Now I pull the
tree back in when frost or freezes threaten.

Steve Herje Lone Rock, WI USDA Zone 3 where the low thus far this fall was
22F.