nafex - [NAFEX] Pawpaw ripening

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pawpaw ripening
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:23:17 -0500

My youngest daughter (9) and I were cracking some hickories, walnuts, and pecans, while sitting in the barn on Saturday, while everyone else was in town. We were talking about nuts, and decided to take a ride to the north end of the farm to pick some hazelnuts, as she'd never had them before. On the way back to the house, we rode the old dozer-cut road around the perimeter on the high side of the farm, and I noticed a big hand of pawpaw fruit hanging in one tree just off the road. Shook 'em down and took 'em home to eat. I figure those must be the last ones of the season here - I started harvesting some from the trees behind the office here, back in mid-September.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY