nafex - Re: [NAFEX] climbing cutworms

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] climbing cutworms
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:01:02 -0700

Sam,

If it was a bird, the hole would be triangular or irregular in shape, the
round holes are usually cutworms.

You often get two or three holes in one apple. I don't think the cutworm has
a huge appetite. He/she is a grey/brown caterpillar which will become a
moth. I don't know if the climbing cutworm also curls into a 'C' when
disturbed.

Once I notice cutworm damage, I know the apples are ready to be picked.

Derry

Bill Chase & Derry Walsh
Aldergrove, B.C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316