nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:50:47 -0700

Sam,
I'm glad you asked what the maggot looks like. Looking at this picture of
the apple maggot
http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/tree002/tree002.htm
and the codling moth larva,
http://www.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/codling%20moth%20larva.jpg
I think most of my damage is from codling moth. I conclude this based on
the dark colored head of the "worm" and the kind of damage that it is
causing. The damage I have has only one entrance and one exit hole, as
shown here.
http://www.uidaho.edu/so-id/entomology/internal%20codling%20moth%20damage.jp
The apple maggot seems to do a lot of meandering through the apple, which I
don't have.

How do people control codling moth? Where can I get codling moth traps?
Anyone have experience with Bulls-Eye bioinsecticide from Gardens Alive?

-Mark Lee, Seattle