nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:44:20 -0400

My father had an ornamental crab in the front yard that used to sucker a lot. It wasn't a huge problem, but it was a nuisance and it was annoying to mow over the roots. I can see that lack of suckers (especially if coupled with roots that stay underground) would be an advantage even if you only have one or two trees. But I agree that pruning that can be done in pleasant weather while standing on the ground is low on the list of "Troublesome tasks" for a home grower with one or two trees. Spraying, pruning up high, thinning fruit, and picking all the fruit (or picking it up off the ground before it rots) are all more onerous.

Ginda