nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rhubarb under grapevines

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rhubarb under grapevines
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:24:18 -0400

> Light isn't the problem, fertilizer is. Rhubarb likes LOTS of
fertilizer -
> rotted manure, that sort of thing. Plant it near the grapes and you
will
> overfertilize them in the process, making them too vigorous and
disrupting
> fruit set.

One of my grape management challenges is too much nutrition. Nettle
does not grow in N poor environments. The grape vines are planted on a
lot west of a barn. Obviously it was used as a corral.

That was one of the factors in my converting to the Geneva Double
Curtain system. I had to spread out the canopy. Otherwise it grew so
densely that it could not be penetrated by sun, spray (sorry organic
guys) and drying breezes.

XXXX@XXXX is