nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:17:24 -0600

At 09:53 PM 3/12/2003 -0500, Ginda wrote:
I've often whittled a branch of crab apple that had a beautiful purple or red tint when "green". The color always faded as the wood dried out. My sticks all came from the same tree, so I suppose some other might be different. But I was disappointed the first couple of times.

I was thinking that in a related discussion a year or two back, that Del had indicated that the red/purple color in many of these pigmented-wood trees didn't 'hold'.
A NAFEX member sent me some scions a couple of years back that had wood the deepest purple I'd ever seen - looked like someone had squashed a pokeberry(Phytolacca americana) on it. While surveying the nursery beds last weekend, I'm sorry to see that that young tree appears to have succumbed to borers or last summer's drought - may have to beg another piece of scionwood at some point in time.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY