nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber

  • From: Rodney Eveland <Reveland@WYOMING.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:46:31 -0700

I don't know about as a timber tree, but many people like apple for
smoking fish and I've heard it is a good wood for whittling on.

Rodney zone 4

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:53:02 -0500
From: list@ginda.us
To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 10:58 AM, Lucky Pittman wrote:
<snip>
> A number of the red-fleshed crab varieties have red/purple pigmented
> wood, but again, I don't know how how stable that pigmentation is.
> You might be able to graft them onto standard rootstocks , plant at
> high stem densities, and do some pruning/training to encourage upright
> growth?

I've often whittled a branch of crab apple that had a beautiful purple
or red tint when "green". The color always faded as the wood dried
out. My sticks all came from the same tree, so I suppose some other
might be different. But I was disappointed the first couple of times.

> There have been some outfits in the recent past who've been pushing
> wild black cherry, P.serotina, as a timber tree, and marketing select
> seedlings grown from selected parents with good timber type and fast
> growth rates.

Black cherry is beautiful wood, and the fruit tastes nice, although
there isn't much of it.

Ginda