nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:58:42 -0600

Hello,
We have been planting trees on some of our land, and so far they have been
mostly red and white oak, green ash, white pine, and spruce. I have planted
walnuts when I can get some locally, and have put in some sugar maple
seedlings when I find them to transplant. Also have planted a few chestnuts
from a tree in the area that is still alive.

We are thinking it would be nice to have some fruitwood timber sometime in
the future (partly my 21 year old son's idea) and I am looking for
suggestions on apple, pear, and plum varieties to plant for timber. I am
thinking that rootstock that would develop into a "full size" tree would be
appropriate, but would like suggestions from anyone who may have experience
with this. I'm at the cold edge of zone 4, an hour east of S. Paul, MN.
Thanks.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>