nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for timber
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:19:36 -0500

Some of the NNGA members in Ontario who are also members of S.O.N.G. [Society of Ontario Nut Growers] grew black walnut up to 9 feet tall, then grafted persian/english walnuts at that height. The proposed result was to be the straight black walnut bole of 9' [the best part for boards] and the english walnut crop. In practice, I think there's plenty of black walnuts the chain saw jockeys cut down and average size black walnut aren't so rare. I haven't heard of this being done with fruit trees - has anyone else?

In an unrelated question, why are you planting common hardwood species when you could be planting species such as Alnus Rubra, or Black Locust, which would yield excellent wood but also improve the soil?
Charlie Paradise
zone 5/Massachusetts