nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strazzberry /company reliability

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strazzberry /company reliability
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:54:58 -0500

Gurney's seems to have changed hands again. They (along with Henry Field and a batch of other people) were owned for a while by Foster Gallagher, who went bankrupt, as near as I can tell after ruining the reputations of the companies they owned. Now they (and some but not all of the former Gallagher companies) are apparently owned by Gardens Alive. Whether this is an improvement time only will tell. (Most of this information courtesy of Plants by Mail. URL below.)

http://plantsbymail.net/whoownswhat.php

I think the overall reliability of the company is more important than whether they're nursery only. One year I put in my orders late, and the only place I could find that still had Sparkle strawberry was Pinetree, a home garden seed and supply company (with a great remaindered book list, by the way). The plants I got from Pinetree were fine.

-- Rivka

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 02:32 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 11:10 AM 2/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>From the Gurney 2003 catalog...
http://www.gurneys.com/item_disp.asp?pn=16333
"Strazzberry
Bursting with Berry Flavor
New taste sensation looks like a plump strawberry, packed with rich
raspberry flavor! Delectably different, Junebearer. 1-year."

These were offered last year, too. Does anyone have experience with these?
Is this an old variety with a new name?

Ordered 10 last year - don't recall whether from Gurney's or Henry Field - along with 50 Ozark Beauty, and 25 each of a couple of junebearing varieties.
Last time I'll order strawberries from anyone other than an actual berry nursery, like Indiana Berry, etc. Really sorry plants, on all varieties, dried out or moldy - most were DOA or just failed to thrive. I think one Strazzberry survived the summer.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY