nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:23:05 -0500

Kaki persimmons from Chris Inhulsen have inspired us to plant several trees
here in Zone 6.
I just dug several young persimmon trees (2-4') from an area being cleared,
taking along a large ball of dirt in each case. Am setting these trees out,
to graft selected American and Kaki persimmons on them.

Questions:
What soils are best for American persimmon rootstock? Any amendments/trace
elements preferred?
Can I graft this year, or should I wait one more year?
Should I graft low, eventually covering the American rootstock with soil, to
allow the kaki scion to root over time?
How can I minimize risk of persimmon decline in grafting and planting
decisions?

Thanks for you input,
Richard Moyer
East Tenn Zone 6, wet, wet, wet