nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:46:24 -0600

At 09:39 AM 2/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:
Richard,
I have grafted persimmons only once, and none of them took. I grafted them
at the same time I did a bunch of apple trees. Both the apple and persimmon
trees were dormant. Most of the apples took. I later learned that I should
have waited until the persimmon was actively growing to do the grafts. To
anyone with more experience... does that advice sound right?

Mark,
I do all my dormant-scion persimmons(well, actually, I graft almost EVERYTHING) after the rootstock begins unfurling leaves.
When I grafted my first persimmons, I just did a simple whip - just like apples & pears. The took and grew just fine. Then, I started reading of all these folks having difficulty 'doing' persimmon. Guess I didn't know enough to 'be scared' of them, at the time.

I don't think they're all that difficult to graft - BUT!!! Aftercare is VERY important! You have to check them almost daily - repeat, almost daily - to keep new shoots from the rootstock rubbed off, or they'll rapidly overgrow and prevent callusing and scion growth. Be sure to check daily(I can't emphasize that enough!) to remove competing rootstock shoots.

I now just do a simple bark graft on most of my persimmons, at any time after the rootstocks begin leafing out, and have good success. Did a couple of whip & tongue grafts last year with some large caliper scionwood, and they took just fine.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY