nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.

  • From: David Ulmer <davidu9999@covad.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon transplant and grafting questions.
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:27:54 -0800

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:23:05 -0500, Moyer, Richard wrote:

>Can I graft this year, or should I wait one more year?

>Thanks for you input,
>Richard Moyer
>East Tenn Zone 6, wet, wet, wet

Richard,
I have found the following helpful when grafting persimmons.
1.  Have a well established rootstock.  I like one that is at least 1/2 inch diameter because -
2.  I use an inlay bark graft -
3.  And graft as the leaves are unfolding, meaning that the bark is slipping.

Go to the following site for a good explanation of the process: aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ propagation/inlay/

I do a few things differently.  After you are through wrapping your graft, using any method you like, cover the graft with a small polyethylene bag and then cover that with a small paper bag.  Cut a window on the north side hinged at the top for peaking.  After a couple of weeks, the buds should start swelling and after the leaves begin to unfold, cut a small slit in the plastic bag for ventilation. Leave the paper bag on for the present  Watch closely and, if there is no wilting, enlarge the opening over the next few days.  Soon the leaves will be growing out of the bag you can gradually remove the paper bag as well.

Remember, a bark graft is very weak and MUST be well supported for the first few years until the wound is completely healed over the stock.  I have lost more than one pecan graft in a Mississippi summer thunderstorm in the past.

With this graft, my success rate is 90%.  On smaller stocks, T-buds, chip buds and whip and tongue grafts usually are less than 50% for me.

Years ago, T.O. Warren and I were visiting James Anding in McComb, MS.  James had, at one time, a small nursery business and was known a an excellent budder/grafter.  His technique on small persimmons was to do a whip graft on the top and a chip bud lower down.  He said that some years one or the other would take and some years both.

Hope this helps.

David
--
David Ulmer, davidu9999@covad.net on 02/21/2003