nafex - Re: [NAFEX] auxin use in grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: rooting <rooting@hortus.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] auxin use in grafting
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:36:15 -0600

At 01:02 PM 2/17/2003 -0500, MRK wrote:
Does anyone know of recent research on the use of auxins to enhance graft
takes?

The last article that I know on this topic was several years ago by Dr
Cummins at NYS Geneva Repository published in the Pomona, Spring 1997,
Volume 2, number 34 XXX
reprinted at http://www.hortus.com/cummins.htm

I'd toyed with the idea of trying this on some pecan, hickory, and walnut grafts, from time to time. Pomefruits offer little difficulty to me, but I've not achieved the success with nut trees that I'd like to get - yes, I'm improving with practice, but I still have lots of failures, when the graft on the next plant, done in the same manner, does well.
Any insight on whether the talc-based rooting hormone powders have any adverse effect?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY