nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Potted citrus

  • From: miekal and <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Potted citrus
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:28:07 -0600

except in my case I use almost no fertilizer at all, just a dilute solution of fish emulsion maybe 10 times in the whole growing season.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 06:04 PM, kathryn stout wrote:

I think of thick peel as a symptom of too much
nitrogen, or too-fast growth or both--It seems that
our next-door neighbors in (low-humidity) CA decided
to take good care of their orange trees, limbed them
up, watered them a lot, gave them some kind of
chemical shot in the arm fertilizer (I thought,
high-N). Their reward was oranges with thick peels.
Ours, mulched with whatever debris accumulated, left
unfertilized and mostly unwatered, produced the
best-flavored, thinnest-peeled oranges.
You can fuss too much, with citrus.