nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:24:52 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom
These are good guidelines, generally speaking.  From these, I think we could infer that most older perennial fruits propagated asexually would be antiques.  I still lean towards "heirloom" for those few that are propagated largely from seed, such as certain apricots and peaches.  For instance, there is/was a white fleshed peach with red around the pit, grown as a yard tree, or the like, in Iowa (perhaps other areas, but part of my family came from Iowa, so I use that example) that was always grown from seed.  It was usually called something like Indian Cling or Indian Blood peach.   Anyway, all the trees I knew about were always seedlings.
   What it really comes down to is that antique and heirloom could both apply (and often are) to many old fruit varieties, but I think, for clarity, there should be some distinction made between ones that are propagated asexually and from seed.  If nothing else, there is going to be some variation in the seed grown types, even if it's not really obvious.  When Tom Foley was head of the NAFEX apricot group, he reported on work by the U. of Wisconsin to identify particularly good individual trees of the Door County apricot.  They found that the 'cots had been grown from seed in enough areas that there were definite variations showing up, either through selection by people, or adaptation to different climates.  If there is that much difference between individuals, it could make a difference where an heirloom came from, while a variety propagated by budding or grafting should be the same no matter where you get the material.
So making some distinction between sexually and asexually propagated material would be useful for someone trying to get the variety.  If you want seed of an heirloom, it's a good idea to get it from a source in a climate as close to yours as possible.  Scions could come from any source.
-Lon Rombough