nafex - [NAFEX] Land Races

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Land Races
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:45:22 -0700

Title: Land Races
As I understand a Land Race (from my plant breeding classes) it is an old variety which, while generally conforming to a standard of sorts, contains a lot of variation within it.  For example, I got some seed of ornamental sunflowers from East Germany some years ago.  Where an ornamental sunflower from an American company would have been pretty standard for height, growth habit, and percentages of colors, this lot had plants that ranged from 4  feet to 8 feet in height, with some having no branches, some with branches at the top of the stalk, some with side shoots all the way up (which made them look like Christmas trees), and more.  This is the kind of variation a land race can have.  It's usually possible to select lots of separate lines from them, any one of which can constitute a variety on it's own.
  Clear as mud?
-Lon Rombough