nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:44:29 -0500

antique suggests age to me - furniture has the somewhat arbitrary 100 yr
qualifying time, which seems about right - cars are 'antique' when 25
years old - Heirloom suggests something passed down generations, so I
believe any 100 year old variety would qualify as an heirloom, but not
necessarily the converse - we have a seedling apple that's pretty good that
came up from a rootstock where a block of trees were removed on my fathers
orchard - dad is retired and I have it planted in my orchard - I believe it
to be an 'heirloom' but not an 'antique' - DOUD