nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:14:38 -0400

Lon, I agree that the term heirloom is most often used to describe plants
that breed true from seed (and I'll add, have been around long enough for
our grandparents to have grown them).
Plants that breed true from seed are usually referred to as "open
pollinated". I believe all heirloom varieties are open pollinated, but not
all open pollinated varieties are necessarily heirloom. Anyone else?

Mike Levine