nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom

  • From: hector black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antique vs. Heirloom
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:47:37 -0700

I like Lon's definition of antique as being over 100 yrs. old, referring
largely to fruit or nut varieties, and Heirloom as being a race of seeds
passed on for some years. How many years on the latter would be open to
discussion. It would clarify variety descriptions to have these terms
agreed to.

I seem to recall that a "land race" (I've crushed my temptation to make a
funny) refers to fruit or nut trees of a local area where the seeds have
been planted and trees inbred for so many years that they mostly come true
to seed. Would these be a third category?
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN