nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn survival and fruiting

  • From: hector black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea buckthorn survival and fruiting
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:36:54 -0700

Yes, we sure did. We didn't get any fruiting at all until we planted in a
mix that was over 50% sand. I think most of the Elaeagnaceae are a pioneer
species growing in gravel bars, sand dunes and other marginal soils where
there nitrogen fixing capability enables them to survive, improve the soil,
and then be taken over by taller species. Hector Black, middle TN