nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FW: Grape Leaf Compounds (off topic)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FW: Grape Leaf Compounds (off topic)
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:03:01 -0400

I follow medical news. It's true that there is aluminum in the brain in
people with Alzheimer's. It's true that when this was discovered, some
doctors suggested avoiding dietary aluminum. But there have been lots
of tests since then, and dietary aluminum seems to have been cleared of
blame. Apparently, the aluminum in the brain is the effect, not the
cause. Anyhow, aluminum is incredibly common, and basically impossible
to avoid. Most dirt contains aluminum.

(The aluminum salts in antiperspirants are still suspect, but I forget
for what.)

Does anyone have any idea what is in grape leaves to keep pickle firm?
Is it tannins?

Ginda