nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <bnikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark graft end coat?
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 21:28:53 -0600 (MDT)

A couple of things from my experience with similar grafting. Firstly 4 ft.
is way too high to cut off the 5 inch trunk and graft. I cut them off even
with the ground, or as close as I can get, and then bark graft. This keeps
the graft union from freezing out during a cold winter, which does happen to
me often on bark grafts above the snow (zone 3/2). Secondly the new trees
are very vigorous, and seem to start a new tree from the side of the old
one. The flat area just seems to die off, but the new tree is great, sort
of like a new tree growing from immediatly beside an old trunk. I regrafted
about 30 apple trees a week ago with exactly this method. The trunks were 2
to 5 inches thick. It has worked very well for me in the past. The
commercial guys use the green or white Dr. Farewells compound over the
trunk, whick is like a waxy paint.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
finally at green tip this weekend!!!