nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FW: Grape Leaf Compounds

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FW: Grape Leaf Compounds
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:05:43 -0400

You don't need to add many cherry or peach leaves in the jar. Too many can
put excess cyanide in the pickle. Don't use wilted stone fruit leaves
because the cyanide level is highest in that form - use only fresh.

We have no problem with low doses of cyanide. We get it in the things we eat
regularly. The liver consumes it. But doses higher than the liver can handle
can lead to problems. For example, pasture animals have died from eating too
many wilted wild cherry leaves at once.

Bill