nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wind break

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wind break
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:46:01 -0700

I don't know what kind of spruce you have there.
Here we have the timber spruce Sitka.
It is a large tree when full grown.
About 250 feet tall and 7 feet in diameter.
Of course this takes a few hundred years.
It grows fairly fast on the cool Oregon coast.
I don't know how your summers are. Ours only get up to 75.
If you are hotter it should grow faster.
Does not take well to topping but can be done.
Tap root is not existant.
Supports itself with broad running suface rooting.
Doug fir has a tap root and will take shearing and topping.
I had some hedge ones that were topped at 12 feet and were 25 years old when
I felled them.
They are the preferred timber tree here and can get $10,000 per tree when
full grown at 200 feet.
If they are kept trimmed up so there are no knots they are very desired for
peeler logs.
I know timber is not your interest but I thought I would throw this in.
You can buy large quantities of all kinds of these seedlings from Lawyers
Nursery in MT at very
reasonable prices. They also buy seeds from individuals for planting.
Personally I like evergreens.
I use several types that would not be usable in your climate.
My favorite wind screen tree is English Laurel.
Grows to 30 feet and is a very dense growing tree.
Won't work for you as it will freeze out there.
Sam