nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wind break

  • From: "Gianni's mail" <gianni-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wind break
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:30:03 -0400

Subject: [NAFEX] wind break

Another thought is a fast growing evergreen, and one that won't get over 15
feet tall.
What do other northerners do ?

I ordered a batch of white cedar to plant out for conservation plantings, I
was wondering if I planted some of them what their growth might be like if I
pruned them to a single leader....rather then the bush they start as. Have
got endless spruce seedlings to transplant from our woods also , but no idea
how to control the eventual size.
Is it good, or unadvisable, to heavily prune evergreens when transplanting?

Thanks, Del Z2/3

Hi Del:
I think Miller nurseries has Arborvitae that has a determinate
height.
Not sure on that one. Arborvitae (White Cedar), trains out quite nicely but
I have never heard of anyone trimming them as seedlings, that's your call.
I used to maintain a hedge of arborvitae that was 25 feet high and 4 feet
thick. These trees were approximately 30 years old.
I think Tom mentioned the Poplars but they are not very dense and do have
a tendency to snap unless planted in rows for support.
It's too bad Hunter is no longer around with Bear Creek, I bought some real
nice
"Hybrid poplars" that grew 10 feet a year, mebbe Miller, again?

All the best,
~Gianni