nafex - Re: [nafex] Poor Man's Fertilizer

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Poor Man's Fertilizer
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:27:58 -0500

At 07:54 PM 04/18/2001 -0400, Joe Hecksel wrote:
>In the frozen North, early spring N availability due to decaying organic
>material is limited by soil temperature. Most soil is not biologically
>very active at temperatures below 50F (about 10C). There is just not
>that much N being freed up from decaying organic sources. This 50F/10C
>number is a very interesting number. That is the soil temperature that
>is associated with the start of corn/maize germination, lamb survival
>(per Joe Rook) and the air temp associated with accumulation of degree
>days for fruit trees. In my neck of the woods, that occurs between
>April 15 and May 1.

Thanks, Joe.
Having grown up in the Deep South, where I can't recall more than a couple
of snows deeper than 2" in my first 30 years down there (and none persisted
more than a couple of days), we didn't get much of that "Poor man's
fertilizer". Even up here in the frigid northland(southern west-central
KY! LOL) snows are not too frequent, heavy, or persistent.

The row-crop farmers have been planting corn, here, for better than a
month. I didn't notice how much, if any, damage the frosts/freezes of the
past two nights did to the corn I pass on the way to work - some of it's
close to a foot tall.
However, my hardy kiwis, raspberries, cucumbertree magnolias and newly
leafing oaks are all sporting wilted black foliage this morning.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM