nafex - Re: [nafex] agricultural sand

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] agricultural sand
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:02:27 -0000

all the talk of sand qualities amazes me....so much to learn.....if folk
want graded washed sand your local sand and gravel supply will deliver
masons sand by the yard.....weve got a pile in our new basement from last
summers building and its where I've got all our bare roots buried till
planting. 50F today and a mallard pair found a hole in the ice to sit in!
Mn. Del

>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] agricultural sand
>Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:15:51 +0000
>
>Hello!
>I have been lucky with sand. If you are going to go out and dig it you have
>to be aware that naturally occurring deposits of sand come in a
>wide range of coarseness. I have access to coarse sand with lots of organic
>material. This comes from the edge of a large rocky brook which
>flows by my yard and forms sandy shoals each year. The sand is full of leaf
>mold and great for rooting cuttings and growing cacti and
>succulents. Just downstream the deposits are more silty.
>Aquarium gravel is often overlooked as a source of coarse planting media.
>It also has various sizes making it useful either alone or in
>mixes. It can be found in natural, tumbled and unpainted.
>The snow is finally moving off the garden and the pasture is starting to
>show patches of bare ground. This will be a winter for all of us
>to remember won't it?
>Vic in NH zone 3
>
>tolenio@sentex.net wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Hope everyone had a nice Easter, or passover.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how you determine if sand is suitable for
> > aricultural purposes, such as a rooting medium component?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Tom Olenio
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM