nafex - [nafex] Quince Report

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Quince Report
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:16:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

This report is for Lon, but thought I would share it.

Of the 36 nonastrigent quince seeds;

* 24 have sprouted and now have true leaves

* 10 have sprouted and have seed leaves

* 2 are still in the fridge, refusing to
break dormancy

I kept the seeds in the fridge with a small amount of vermiculite, and had
rinsed the seeds with Wilson, Fruit Tree Spray (really just needed the
Furbam, 2ml to a cup of water). The seeds were kept in a glass jar,
barely damp. After 60 days, the first 24 broke dormancy and 10 days after
that the remaining 10 broke. I hold little hope for the last 2 as they
appear inferior to the other seeds.

All seeds were treated with 1/8th teaspoon of myco fungi when I put them
into soil. So far all the seedlings look great.

Did you (Lon) mention how to feed these seedlings? The myco fungi do not
like man made fertilizer, and I cannot get organic plant food locally
(unless I drive into Kitchener). All I have access to is manure, and bone
meal, but I am unsure how to use these on bottom watered seedlings in the
basement, under lights. Usually I use man made fertilizer)

Believe it or not, I live in an agricultural area (commercial) and
organics are considered a "quaint notion", but I have access to pig and
cow manure, but unsure how to use it inside the house. When bringing
manure into indoor conditions should it be sterilized on the BBQ? How?
What is the best mix for manure tea used in watering seedlings indoors?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM