nafex - Re: [nafex] agricultural sand

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] agricultural sand
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:19:38 -0400

Joe
Where did you get Schultzs potting mix from?
Gordon

Tom Olenio wrote:

> jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:
>
> <snip>Michael Dirr (Great writer and plant person!)
> recommends straight perelite <snip>
>
> Hi,
>
> I have access to sand (not beach sand, an Ontario sand bank) and for
shear monetary reasons, want to find out if it could be used.

> Is it a simple matter of course sand?

Grimace. Humility forces me to admit that I was not very successful
with sand and I diagnosed the cause of the failure as rot induced by
saturated sand. I have had better luck with other media but think sand
could easily work if you can work out a system to ensure good air
content at the bottom. Captan or other fungicide is probably prudent if
you plan on selling the plants and using the proceeds to pay the morgage
on the family farm.

Given mist, I do not see why pea-gravel would not work. But honest
forces me (double grimace) to admit that sand did not work for me.

Just for the record, my current love affair for potting media is Schultz
professional potting soil. It looks to be heavy on Canadian sphagnum
and ground bark, etc.

> Thanks,
> Tom
> --
> Thomas Olenio
> Ontario, Canada
> Hardiness Zone 6a

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM