nafex - Re: [nafex] Poor Man's Fertilizer

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Poor Man's Fertilizer
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:03:22 -0500

At 12:06 PM 04/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>It snowed here today in Maine. A warm, wet spring snow, barely
>enough to stick to the ground. I was in the Blue Hill post office
>this morning and as each new person came in the door they would make
>some comment about the weather and usually finish off with, "Yup.
>Poor man's fertilizer."

Phil,
As Vic stated, it's in relation to the N cycle.
I'd seen a similar discussion several years back - seemed the old-timers
attached some significance to the N dissolved in snow(but wouldn't the same
, or more, N be dissolved in rainwater?); one respondent even related her
memories of her father or grandfather getting out and plowing(with a
two-bottom plow) the snow under, in order to incorporate that N directly
into the soil so it didn't sublimate away when the snow melted.
Don't know if it really works or not. Maybe some of our more
learned/experienced NAFEXers will weigh in with more info.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM