nafex - Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:21:05 -0400

I also now of chestnut growers who have planted Collossal without Nevada
that have never had nuts.
Gordon
I haven't checked the catkins that closely to see if they produce any
pollen. I've never seen nuts or signs of female flowers.
----------
>From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] sterile chestnuts
>Date: Sat, Apr 14, 2001, 5:34 PM
>

>If it has catkins, I wouldn't call it sterile. Maybe "male". It
>doesn't sound like a star pollinator, though.
>
>Has anyone heard of a female chestnut?
>
>"Lon J. Rombough" wrote:
>>
>> I have a good number of chestnuts on my place, all seedlings, with all
four
>> main species represented in the genes. However, I have a "Colossal"
>> seedling that is apparently sterile. It is more than 15 years old and
has
>> been producing catkins (though not many) for at least half that time.
There
>> is such a mix of chestnuts in the area I can't believe SOMETHING
wouldn't
>> pollinate it, but I'm not sure I've even ever seen female flowers on it,
let
>> alone a single bur or nut. Knowing the mixed ancestry of the variety,
I'm
>> not suprised that a seedling of it might be sterile, depending on how
the
>> genes reassorted, but I was wondering how common such sterile trees are.
>> Any information on that out there?
>> -Lon Rombough
>> Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
>> http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom
>>
>> Join the Garden Writers List
>> To subscribe, send a blank message to:
Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM