nafex - Re: [nafex] gypsy moth caviar & Weight Watchers

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] gypsy moth caviar & Weight Watchers
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:55:46 EST

Well, Kevin, I've never eaten them cooked, so I don't know about the relative
advantages. However, like most things, grasshoppers taste a bit bitter in
dry weather. I just hold them by the big back legs and bite them. Unless it
has been dry, they seem relatively tasteless. Just a bit crunchy with lots
of juice and not much substance, though more than crickets. While I've never
had problems from eating them live, I suppose people who live a life
esentially under seran wrap with little exposure to browsing food as they
find it might lack the proper defenses to deal with relatively mild foreign
organisms. This appears to be the case, if newspaper accounts of sickness
from eating slightly active materials are to be accepted. Actually, I've
always wanted to eat earthworms, but could never overcome my cultural
prejudice against them. But every class of animal eats them and most appear
to relish them. (Ive noticed cats don't like them, but cats are perverse
anyway.)
Actually, I like to grow my own beef. Then I know the animal has a good
life and as humane a death as I can give it and the grass-fat animals do not
have the bad effects on health that grain fattened animals do. And one can
get a lot more food from a grasshopper if it is impaled on the end of a
fishhook. :-) But basically, I agree with your dietary observations, with
perhaps the addition to eating as many cooked greens as possible, wild, tame,
whatever. This is the most efficient food, as the leaves are the primary
producers of almost all other food. I'd also add microbial food (e.g.,
yoghurt, fish paste, etc.) and similar (e.g., temphe which is actually a
fungal decompositon of foods). And whenever possible, whole foods, like
grasshoppers or live grains ground right before eating are better, I believe.
I give my chickens a certain amount of whole wheat every day so that they
are sure to have that, no matter how much "dead" food they get. Of course
they gather their own whole foods, too, but I want to assure that they get
enough.

Dan H