nafex - Re: [nafex] gypsy moth caviar & Weight Watchers

  • From: Fluffy Bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] gypsy moth caviar & Weight Watchers
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:51:54 -0500

Bill wrote:

I've heard that grasshoppers taste like shrimp, only better. Can anyone
confirm this?

My reply:

They actually vary by season, location, type and preparation method.
Grasshoppers like many things we crunch and munch take on different
tastes depending on what they are grazing on. In my experience the
wild fed ones are far ranker then those that come from the farming
communities.

I have eaten many over the years and I do not recall any that tasted like
shrimp, perhaps they might taste vaguely similar to small crawfish but
the resemblance is faint at best.

In addition they may harbor small parasites so a good cooking is
essential.

I might point out that in this era of "mad cow disease" it might be time
we overcome our "food" prejudices and look at such healthy alternatives.
I'll confess I love a good steak every now and then, but a steady diet
of vegtables and insects, augmented by an occasional steak sounds all
around fairly appealing to me.

Very truly yours,

the crunch and munch bunny
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!