nafex - Re: [nafex] Rabbits

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 19:01:02 -0800

Hi Tom:

We are also besieged with rabbits. I have been live trapping them using
apples for bait. I cannot seem to catch them quickly enough. The
lean-to of the barn collapsed under the snow load this year and the trap
was underneath. I was able to salvage the trap, slightly the worse for
the wear.

Like you, I noticed that rabbit tracks seemed to follow well defined
trails. I assumed it was due to the difficulty in plowing through
fluffy snow. The trails really narrow where they go through woven wire
fences or through feedlot panels.

I was talking to an old coot at work regarding the possibility of
snaring the little rascals. He suggested using 18 gauge, bare copper
wire (4 cents US/foot or 20 cents Canadian/meter at warehouse type
building supply stores) and a swivel-snap (fishing style) where attached
to a whippy tree limb. I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of the
method because I believe it is in violation of Michigan game laws.
Snares are not considered very selective. Heck, you might catch a barn
cat, possum, coon or other valuable wildlife!

I have also noticed that the rabbits will nail prunings before they go
after tree trunks. I pruned very heavily this year and the kids lopped
the twigs into kindling for the fireplace. We left them under the
doomed lean-to. Many of those twigs/limbs are stripped.

Regarding the heavy prunings: I seem to go in cycles. I will acquire
many cultivars, fruit them out, tolerate them for a while and then
eliminate most of them. Wolf River and Ashmeade's Kernal were
eliminated due to shy bearing. Another apple (a russet reputed to be
'pear like', cannot remember the name off the top of my head) got culled
because it cracked and I did not care for the flavor. I culled Ozark
Gold for the same reasons. All the limbs of Northern Spy and some of
the Melrose got pruned as well.

--

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids,

A man can be a fool and not know it. But not if he belongs to an email
list.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/977788660/