nafex - [nafex] cracks in apples

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] cracks in apples
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:32:25 -0800

When your apples 'crack', does the skin separate and allow you to see the
flesh
below? Do moulds then cause the cracks to decay?

The 'cracks' I get in HGG are not as above. There is no splitting of the
skin,
no baring of flesh. (I will pay more attention to them next year when the
apples
are really small).

I think the HGG cracks are fairly unique and are not actually 'cracks'. The
result is a deformed apple with big ridges and furrows, but no broken skin.

I do get cracks in some varieties where the flesh is exposed. This usually
occurs
near harvest and is due to uneven watering ... usually a long dry spell
(August)
followed by a deluge of rain (late August or early September). Cox's Orange
and
crosses of CO are quite vulnerable.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

: Lon, You mentioned that the cracking phenomenon occurs only when the trees
: are young in HGG. Is this the rule for other varieties also?? We have
: experienced cracking on young trees of Laxton's Fortune, Mertons Pioneer,
: Rosemary Russset, Sansa and Paulared here in Southeast Alaska. Do calcium
: sprays help for apple cracking like they do for cherries?? Jerry
: Appleseed.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/978158445/