nafex - Re: [nafex] Rabbits

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:39:04 -0800

I use tree guards. They come in 12", 24" and maybe 36" lengths.

I just bought 100 x 24" for $100 Cdn ($66US) including shipping from Edmonton
and
taxes (headquarters of this forestry company is in Ontario).

TKusovac@cfe.ca Ted Kusovac should be able to direct you to the Ontario
store.

The guards are a spiralling white plastic and I've used some for about six
years
and can't see any deterioration. They protect my trees from rabbits and also
from
meadow mice who nibble at the bark at the base of the tree.

They used to come in 18" but the company I deal with doesn't carry that
length any
more.

I have also cut 2L pop bottles as Lee suggests. I cut off the screw top, cut
1-1.5" hole in the bottom, slit the pop bottle from top to bottom and the
bottle
closes (naturally) around the trunk of the tree. I put on two bottles to
protect
from rabbits. Be careful of not cutting the opening at the screw top big
enough
... with wind, you could have the bottle rubbing against the bark and cutting
it.

In an emergency, one liter milk cartons might work.

If you have time next year when weather is warmer, you could get some hardware
cloth as someone else suggested and staple it around the trunk of the tree.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316