nafex - Re: [nafex] Rabbits

  • From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:44:43 -0900

Lon, You mentioned that the cracking phenomenon occurs only when the trees
are young in HGG. Is this the rule for other varieties also?? We have
experienced cracking on young trees of Laxton's Fortune, Mertons Pioneer,
Rosemary Russset, Sansa and Paulared here in Southeast Alaska. Do calcium
sprays help for apple cracking like they do for cherries?? Jerry
Appleseed.

----------
>From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 4:29 PM
>

> Here in Oregon where Hudson's Golden Gem originated, it does crack, but only
> when the trees are young. After a few years the cracking stops. And yes,
> when it is very ripe, it is soft and mellow like a pear, with a pear-like
> flavor.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
> http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom
>
> ----------
>>From: jhecksel@voyager.net
>>To: nafex@egroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [nafex] Rabbits
>>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 8:11 PM
>>

>>dwalsh/wchase wrote:
>>>
>>> Joe,
>>>
>>> Was your russet that cracked St Edmunds' Pippin?
>>
>>No. It was Hudson's Golden Gem. I remembered a few other causualites.
>>Holstein is gone due to water core. Most of the Jefferis has also been
>>thinned out. There was nothing wrong with Jefferis, just that I could
>>have more flavorful apples in another week. I find that I value "mild"
>>less as I get older. Maybe the tired, old taste-buds need a little more
>>kick to register....who knows.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/978039964/