nafex - Re: [nafex] wet soil, highbush cranberry and archive homework

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] wet soil, highbush cranberry and archive homework
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:14:46 -0000

to H. Dessurealt, thanks for the thorough reply, i didn't realize there
was a non-edible sambucus, but i'd like to try the black elderbery seeds.
Perhaps someone out here in nafex land knows about propagating sambucus from
seed or where info can be found. This sounds like the same tree i remember
as a child in northern California frying the florets in pancake batter, yum!
Our local soils and water district sells a conservation grade of
V.trilobum for $1.20 ea. I think to order 50 of them, but one year they
were very disappointing quality- anyone now of a wholesale source for
various versions of Viburnam?
Timbleberry. Any chance you know genus-specie on this plant? I lived
couple years on the Oregon coast and what the locals called thimbleberry was
quite different.
Dewberry, i have found a rare one occasionally here in the understory
with
a single berry or two, must be the lack of acid soil that keeps them back.
Wild blackberries. Two miles from our place the soil changes from
clay- to
sand and jack pines. In the understory there are blueberry, raspberry, and
what i believe are wild blackberies. So far the ones i've transplanted to
our rich garden soil in the sun haven't fared well. But my memory of wild
blackberries on the west coast is that they grow uncontrollably on heavy wet
soil. This spring i'll try to get a positive I.D on them.
Domestic Blackberries- the only one that ive seen advertised as
possible
in zone 3 is the severtson farms 'doyle'. Their fantastic claims of
productivity, cold tolerance, and the $18 per plant price tag.....well.....
anyone out there who can vouch for this variety and for its cold tolerance?
The other posibility i dredged up off the nafex archive is "triple crown"
Any zone 3 successes with it? Who sells it?
An oregon berry researcher i've been comunicating with says hes heard
of a
technique of training the laterals low to the ground so they can be covered
with snow. Sounds like a great idea! It relates to a Siberian method i
remember reading somewhere in an old Pomona on growing apples parrellel to
the ground for snow cover, another idea i hope to pursue.
Black raspberries, I'm delighted to hear they can possibly be grown
in
zone 3. I presume these bear on the second year, whats the variety?
Autumn Bliss. I did a test planting of 25 of this primocane bearing
red
raspberry. Delighted with the size, productivity, and flavor, but i'll
give them one more year before digging them up. They are supposedly the
earliest bearing of the 'fall type', but in two mild falls we've lost 3/4 of
the crop to normal mid september frosts.
thanks again! and happy holidays to you all minnesota del, Z2b