nafex - Re: [nafex] composting

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] composting
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:10:34 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

If you want the compost to move fast make layers of debris, sprinkle a
little lime on them, thin layer of soil, and a small shake of fertilizer
ont top of that.

Soil
---------
fertilizer
---------
lime
----------
debris
----------
soil

This gets them cooking real fast.

I always cap my composter with a couple inches of soil.

The lime layers will take care of your acid problem. I also try to add
worms to my compost pile. Simple living worms, bought at a bait shop
work if you cannot find your own.

Actually, there is bait machine (sort of like a Coke machine), in our
village. Put in $2.00 and you get a can full of worms.

One last thing... Finished compost should be added to a new pile of
debris. This will introduce all the living organisms that should reside
in the pile too.

You don't need a lot of soil/lime/fertilier, but you need to get it into
the pile.

Regards,
Tom

--