nafex - Fw: [nafex] composting

  • From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <ginda@concentric.net>
  • Subject: Fw: [nafex] composting
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:44:45 -0600

Ginda, I don't compost most leaves if I can help it, water won't run down
into them properly, you get dry sections in the pile, they are just a pain.
I mulch with them. You must have more leaves than garden, but I seldom have
enough. Shredded leaves are much much better for composting. Any Nitrogen
source will work, including fertilizer like 6-6-6. Urine added to anything
with a lot of carbon ceases to smell immediately. If it hasn't fermented,
it doesn't smell anyway. The danger in carrying such a bucket from indoors
is you might spill it on the way. Our bucket is outdoors already, we really
don't have much indoors!
Donna