nafex - [nafex] Re: edible honeysuckles

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: edible honeysuckles
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:00:10 -0000

Only one flowered thus far (one or two flowers) and it was a not
particularly noticable pale yellow color. I did not smell it and did
not notice a fragrance.

One was the "species" obtained from ForestFarm.

The other two were from Hidden Springs (Hector Black). They don't
list them in their catalog as (I believe) they haven't done well for
them, but they were kind enough to sell me two numbered varieties
they still had. I had written a letter to Hidden Springs.

As to growth habit, they are definitely shrubs with quite upright
growth (as opposed to the Lonicera fragrantissa I purchased (from
ForestFarm) because it was recommended for helping along the Horn-
faces bees (Osmia cornifrons) and it was supposed to be a "shrub". I
have to prop it up to get to look "shrubby".)

I keep a layer of mulch on them (usually grass clippings), but don't
mulch them for winter. Last winter I attempted to use an article
from Pomona for both these and my apricot. A russian had written that
they pile snow around their apricots to delay the onset of bloom. So
the apricot and honeysuckle are planted near my driveway and I piled
snow on them. All the prunus that flowered last year (Nanking
cherry, Plum (Euro and Japanese), and the apricot) got frosted by a
cold snap this past spring. I don't think that we get a deep enough
snow cover, or for long enough for the "piling" snow technique to
work in my climate, but I may continue to try it for a few more years.

As to other things re: the edible honeysuckle, the yard/garden
sometimes get away from me (I have 16 month-old twin boys (and
another on the way), so the honeysuckle got rather "weedy" the year.
My nephew came over to help with the grass cutting and (you guessed
it) accidently mowed them off (in July). All survived this
treatment, two of them grew 8 inches after this (the other, smallest
of the three, only put out a little growth).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "GIANNI-2" <GIANNI-2@p...> wrote:
> Hello Christopher:
> Was wondering what you could tell me about your Lonicera's???
> Have they flowered and fragrant.
> Is their habit like vinca or do they stand upright somewhat?
> Are the 3 all the same variety?
> Have you mulched them or done anything for winter protection
> and lastly, where did you acquire yours if I may?
> Thanks,
> Best wishes,
> Gianni

Click here for more details: