nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Plant shipping costs

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Plant shipping costs
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:35:24 EST

In a message dated 12/20/00 12:28:32 PM, sweetent@home.com writes:

<< What about attempting to organize collective purchases shipped to one
address and then individuals personally pick up their order.

This could be accomplished through local gardening club even if their
are not local groups of NAFEX members.

It might be possible to order at wholesale rates, reduce the shipping
charges by using a trucking firm, and turn the effort into a fund raiser
for the hosting garden club.

Happy holidays,

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA >>

Claude:
Something like this was organized for soil amendment by Samuel Kayman
through NOFA in the 1970s. It is still going strong and other organic
associations have adopted the practice. Even earlier, I had a collective
garden seed purchasing group that saved a lot on seeds. Once you have a
buying club, you can also organize to get anything else you want, of course.
The main requirement, and it is a big one, is that someone has to volunteer
to organize the whole thing, come up with order forms, collect money, place
the order, etc. It can be a thankless headache. When we lived in Georgia,
we knew one couple who took a 10 percent commision on a food buying club
which was a good deal. They didn't make much if you look at an hourly basis,
but it was something. People who didn't see the service that they provided
as being valuable just didn't join. Not only would you save on shipping, but
you should be able to get a good price if your group can agree on certain
varieties to purchase. For my seed collective, I circulated a list from
which people could choose based on what I knew would grow well in that area
(Western massachusetts.) So there are two levels of savings: first, from
shipping and maybe something like a wholesale rate. I'd guess if you were
willing to order custom grafting in advance, as a group, you would save a bit
more. You just need the person to organize it.

Dan H
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/977488528/