nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:25:52 -0700

0% Introductory APR!
Instant Approval!
Aria Visa - get yours today.
http://click.egroups.com/1/7102/15/_/423498/_/969236609/

Greetings all:

Please excuse the lateness of my posting to this thread. I wanted to play
around
with making some applesauce and this weekend was the soonest I could get to
it.

Steaming the apples whole is what worked best for me. I am sure there are
gizmos
one can buy for the purpose, but the last thing I need is one more thing to
lose.
Before I threw in the apples into my 19 qt canning kettle, I put in three
stainless
steel table knives and a heat resistant dinner plate on top of them. I add
about a
quart and a half of liquid (water or cider depending on my mood). I pick the
apples and wash them. Then I put them whole into the kettle. Then I crank
up the
heat.

|oooooooo|
|oooooooo|
| _______ |
| knives |
-----------

Last year I was plagued with scorching apples. We did 32 quarts this weekend
and
steaming them worked slick. The only other thing I learned, again, is to add
extra
liquid when making sauce of less than fully ripe apples....either that or
cook the
devil out of them before canning. The less ripe apples still have starch in
them
and they make a thick sauce that does not let the gasses escape. The sauce
tends
to blow out beneath the lids. Yuck!

Best regards from Eaton Rapids, Michigan. The town that takes Eat-on Rapid
seriously!

begin:vcard
n:;
x-mozilla-html:FALSE