nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple sauce production
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:39:37 +0000

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/15/_/423498/_/968776726/

Hi,
I have been making and canning apples and applesauce for many years. Lon is
right, switch to stainless steel. With the exception of my pressure canner for
processing the jars, you couldn't pay me to cook in aluminum, much less can
in it
.
My suggestions for batches are;
1- if possible, choose apple varieties which cook down quickly, these are
often
the early varieties, although some later ones work equally well. The faster
your
apples cook down, the less apt they are to have time to burn. If your apples
don't cook down quickly you may want to consider passing them through a food
mill
providing they have been peeled and cored, or you may want to can them as
apple
slices ready for pies, ice cream topping or other baking use with or without
your
sugar and spices added.
2- the counter top peeler/corer that you see advertised is a time saver and
worth
every penny you'll pay for it. For years, I hand peeled and cored after
getting
fed up with any type of food mill.
3- using apple juice to get the apples started cooking can also prevent them
burning, I prefer it to adding water which can affect the acid in your
finished
product. Some lemon juice can insure a nice color though I have seen it take
the
pink out of some varieties' color.
4- be sure that you are following up to date USDA standard canning procedures.
This will ensure a high quality result.
Good luck, feel free to question further on varieties, I'm sure we all have
lots
of opinions on which are more or less suitable for every